Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Second Child

 
Posted by Picasa


I have been known to complain
that you are making me
old

Your presence
although delightful
means more
feeding, changing, lifting, consoling
more
unending tasks, dare we say...
drudgery
It's ok Mummy likes to clean up pee
less sleep
less...me

You wake at 2 a.m. and I
sigh
feed you
change you
give a quick, obligatory snuggle and
hope
to drift back to sleep

Your eyes open...
Oh, oh...what now?

The most bewitching, conspirational smile and
little legs wriggling
kicking with joy
a laugh
It's two in the morning and you want to play?

The middle of the night
and we are
up
having a splendid time
....as only the young can

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I cried a little. That's amazing Samantha! I didn't know you wrote poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of it more as prose with line breaks ;)

    ReplyDelete